Strip the Fat for Summer
With summer upon us fat loss is a common goal! A few things to keep in mind when trying to strip the fat!
1. Calories Count: In order to lose weight or body fat you have to consume less calories than you burn. Another way to say it, your calories out must be greater than calories in. The “deficit” of calories doesn’t need to be huge to elicit loss. Generally 15- 20% reduction will be enough to get things rolling, no crash diets!
2. The Type of Calories Count:
Macronutrients – “Macros” are your protein, carbohydrates and fats. You should eat a healthy balance of macronutrients.
1 gram of protein = 4 Calories
1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 Calories
1 gram of fat = 9 calories
Below are the types of proteins, carbs and fat sources I’ve worked into my diet over the years when dropping body fat.
Lean Protein Options: chicken breasts, turkey breasts, cod, flounder, salmon, lean cuts of steak, egg whites and protein powders
Carb Options: oatmeal, brown or jasmine rice, potatoes (any type), whole wheat bread and pasta
Fat Options: olive oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, flax seeds, almonds, walnuts etc
3. Vegetables: Eat plenty of green fibrous veggies like brussels sprouts, broccoli and low calorie but filling veggies like bell peppers, spinach, or cucumbers. While there are numerous benefits to veggie consumption these types are especially helpful for controlling appetite. The “bulk” helps you to feel fuller, which helps while dieting.
4. Cardio: while not well loved by most it is typically needed to help achieve the fat loss goals! A brisk 25 min walk prior to breakfast 3 days per week is a good place to start!
5. Patience: Make a few small changes and stick to those for at least 2 weeks! Take pictures in the same lightning, on the same day, each week and/or use calipers to measure for changes in body fat. If you’re making any changes, stay the course!